From Ancient Settlements to a Proud Municipality
Pre-Spanish Period
Before the arrival of the Spanish colonizers, the area now known as Lobo was a wilderness covered by thick forest. It had no permanent name, and its early inhabitants were semi-civilized hunters who roamed from place to place in search of wild animals for food. Archaeological evidence suggests that Chinese traders once settled in the area, particularly in Barangay Sawang, where remnants of pottery and burial sites were discovered—believed to be part of a small Chinese cemetery.
The coming of the ten Bornean Datus in the 13th century, led by Datu Puti, played a vital role in shaping the early history of Batangas. After establishing a settlement in Panay, Datu Puti, together with Datu Balkasusa and Datu Domangsil, sailed northward in search of new lands. They reached Batangas and founded early Malayan colonies along the Pansipit River and in Kumintang, now Batangas City. Among them was Gat Bahaghari, who ventured further south with his family and followers, reaching the rainbow-shaped “Wawa of Lobo.” His followers named the place “Bahaghari” in honor of their leader. Today, this area is known as Gerthel Beach in Barangay Fabrica.
Early Settlers and the Birth of Masaguitsit
Attracted by the fertile soil and the panoramic beauty of the area, Gat Bahaghari and his followers decided to establish a permanent settlement on a hill overlooking the sea. This strategic location, now the site of the Municipal Cemetery, allowed them to detect approaching pirates who often threatened coastal villages. Below the hill flowed small running streams, which they used to irrigate their farms. These streams were called “sumasagitsit,” meaning “flowing swiftly.” Over time, the name evolved into “Masaguitsit,” now known as Barangay Masaguitsit.
Spanish Colonization and Early Mentions
During the early decades of Spanish colonization, Lobo was known alongside Galvan, referring to the mountainous areas along the southwest coast of Batangas. Its beaches served as stopover points for sea voyagers, and as early as the 1570s, it was reported to have gold mines. A secular priest was stationed in the area in 1636, marking the start of organized religious presence. However, about fifty years later, pirates plundered the settlement, forcing the residents to abandon Lobo by 1698. The survivors moved inland and eventually formed the town of Rosario, now Padre Garcia.
Revival and Formation of Lobo
In 1831, two villages were united to re-establish Lobo as a community. Because the church in Rosario was too far, residents were granted permission to construct their own cemetery in 1850. When Taysan became a parish independent from Rosario in 1860, Lobo was included under its jurisdiction. A decade later, in 1871, Lobo was granted political independence from Taysan, and in 1874, it became a parish of its own. This marked the beginning of Lobo’s growth as an independent municipality.
The Church and Patron Fiesta
Prior to the establishment of its own parish, a larger church was constructed to replace the small visita chapel. Construction faced many interruptions due to the lack of funds and materials, as residents had to balance their time between church work and tending their rice fields. Eventually, the town’s fiesta honoring its patron saint, San Miguel, was moved from May 8 to May 20, 1874, coinciding with the church’s inauguration. The parish was initially administered by secular clergy before being transferred to the Augustinian Recollects in 1876.
Over the years, the bamboo walls of the church, described as “where the wind enters easily and snuffs out the candles,” were replaced with hardwood boards, and the roof was covered with galvanized iron sheets. Despite the hardships, the people of Lobo persevered, and their devotion built a stronger community both in faith and spirit.
The 1901 Fire and the Church’s Survival
In 1901, during the Philippine Revolution, General Miguel Malvar’s troops set fire to the convent, the school, and the municipal hall. Fortunately, the church itself was spared from destruction after residents pleaded for its preservation. This act of mercy became symbolic of Lobo’s resilience and faith, showing the people’s commitment to preserving their place of worship as the heart of the town.
The Origin of the Name “Lobo”
According to local legend, during the Spanish period, a group of settlers gathered one evening to decide on a name for their town. As they were discussing, they saw a bright balloon floating above Mount Banoy, believed to have come from the town of Batangas, which was then celebrating its fiesta. The settlers watched in amazement as the balloon descended and decided to name their place “Lobo,” meaning “balloon.” This name has endured for centuries and has become an integral part of the town’s identity.
Historical evidence supports Lobo’s existence long before the 19th century. The name “Lobo” appears on the Murillo Velarde Map of 1734, also known as the “Mother of All Philippine Maps.” Created by Jesuit cartographer Pedro Murillo Velarde with engraver Nicolas de la Cruz Bagay and artist Francisco Suarez, the map was the first scientific chart of the Philippines and confirms that Lobo was already recognized as a settlement as early as 1734.
Historical Significance
The story of Lobo is a tapestry woven from the courage of early settlers, the faith of its people, and the resilience of a community that has endured centuries of change. From its beginnings as an unnamed forest to its rise as a politically independent town, Lobo’s evolution mirrors the growth of Batangas itself. Its people’s enduring spirit continues to honor their history, preserving a deep connection with both the land and the sea.
References
Batangas Forged in Fire
Comprehensive Land Use Plan, Comprehensive Development Plan & Executive Legislative Agenda (2023–2025) — MPDO
Macatangay, S. (1994). Kasaysayan ng Lobo 1871–1873
List of Leaders – Municipal Mayor
| Name | Position | Years of Service |
|---|---|---|
| Celestino Gutierrez | Municipal Mayor | 1901–1904 |
| Fernando Garcia | Municipal Mayor | 1904–1905 |
| Lucio Gutierrez | Municipal Mayor | 1906–1907 |
| Lucio Dimaano | Municipal Mayor | 1908–1912 |
| Roman Llana | Municipal Mayor | 1912–1916 |
| Lucio Dimaano | Municipal Mayor | 1916–1922 |
| Isaac Lecaros | Municipal Mayor | 1922–1925 |
| Lucio Dimaano | Municipal Mayor | 1925–1934 |
| Tomas Villanueva, Sr. | Municipal Mayor | 1934–1941 |
| Amando Panganiban | Municipal Mayor | 1942–1945 |
| Florentino Macatangay | Municipal Mayor | 1946–1947 |
| Feliculo Sanchez | Municipal Mayor | 1948–1951 |
| Florentino Macatangay | Municipal Mayor | 1952–1955 |
| Amando Panganiban | Municipal Mayor | 1956–1960 |
| Feliculo Marasigan | Municipal Mayor | 1960–1963 |
| Florentino Macatangay | Municipal Mayor | 1964–1967 |
| Tirso Ramos, Sr. | Municipal Mayor | 1968–1971; 1972–1975; 1976–1980 |
| Ruperto Sulit | Municipal Mayor | 1980–1986 |
| Orlando L. Lachica, MD | Municipal Mayor | 1986–1987 |
| Demetrio Araja | Municipal Mayor | 1987–1988 |
| Leonardo Ramos | Municipal Mayor | 1988–1992; 1992–1995 |
| Renato M. Perez, DMD | Municipal Mayor | 1995–1998; 1998–2001; 2001–2004 |
| Virgilio R. Manalo | Municipal Mayor | 2004–2007; 2007–2010 |
| Efren B. Diona | Municipal Mayor | 2010–2013 |
| Gaudioso R. Manalo | Municipal Mayor | 2013–2016; 2016–2019; 2019–2022 |
| Lota L. Manalo | Municipal Mayor | 2022–2024 |
| Geronimo C. Alfiler | Municipal Mayor | 2024–Present |
List of Leaders – Municipal Vice Mayor
| Name | Position | Years of Service |
|---|---|---|
| Paulino Dueñas | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1901–1902 |
| Cayetano Bautro | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1904 |
| Lucio Bautro | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1904–1906 |
| Jose Umali | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1906–1907 |
| Cayetano Serrano | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1908–1912 |
| Agaton Cueto | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1919–1922 |
| Cenon Godoy | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1922–1925 |
| Marcelo Canuel | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1925–1928 |
| Marcario M. Amparo | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1928–1931 |
| Simplicio Verana | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1931–1934 |
| Agaton Cueto | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1934–1937 |
| Cleotilde Llana | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1938–1940 |
| Feliculo Sanchez | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1946–1947 |
| Bienvenido G. Gatdula | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1948–1951 |
| Gerardo S. Marasigan | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1952–1960 |
| Feliculo G. Marasigan | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1960 |
| Rolando C. Panganiban | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1960–1961 |
| Anastacio P. Perez | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1961–1963 |
| Emetrio C. Araja | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1964–1971 |
| Gonzalo Ramirez | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1971 |
| Bernardo Lucero | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1972–1976 |
| Emetrio C. Araja | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1980 |
| Bienvenido G. Gatdula | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1986 |
| Renato M. Perez | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1988–1992 |
| Efren B. Diona | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1992–1995 |
| Meynardo A. Manalo | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1995–1998 |
| Romeo M. Sulit | Municipal Vice Mayor | 1998–2001 |
| Demetrio B. Araja | Municipal Vice Mayor | 2001–2004 |
| Romeo M. Sulit | Municipal Vice Mayor | 2004–2010 |
| Renato M. Perez | Municipal Vice Mayor | 2010–2019 |
| Virgilio R. Manalo | Municipal Vice Mayor | 2019–2022 |
| Gaudioso R. Manalo | Municipal Vice Mayor | 2022–August 2024 |
| Geronimo C. Alfiler | Municipal Vice Mayor | August–September 30, 2024 |
| Angelito H. Abiera | Municipal Vice Mayor | October 1, 2024–Present |

| Category | Barangays |
|---|---|
| 10 Coastal Barangay | Banalo, Balibago, Biga, Fabrica, Lagadlarin, Malabrigo, Masaguitsit, Olo-Olo, Sawang, Soloc |
| 25 Rural Barangay | Apar, Balatbat, Balibago, Banalo, Biga, Bignay, Calo, Calumpit, Fabrica, Jaybanga, Lagadlarin, Mabilog na Bundok, Malabrigo, Malalim na Sanog, Malapad na Parang, Masaguitsit, Nagtaluntong, Nagtoctoc, Olo-Olo, Pinaghawanan, San Miguel, San Nicolas, Sawang, Soloc, Tayuman |
| 1 Urban Barangay | Poblacion |
Lobo is located at 13°38′50″N 121°12′37″E. The town is located near the southern tip of the Batangas province, about 145 kilometres (90 mi) from Manila.
Lobo has white sand beaches and has protected mangrove forests and fish sanctuaries.[16]
According to the Philippine Statistics Authority, the municipality has a land area of 175.03 square kilometres (67.58 sq mi) [17] constituting 5.61% of the 3,119.75-square-kilometre- (1,204.54 sq mi) total area of Batangas.

